Ndambala Village, T/A Chikwewo.
Ndambala has 47 households and there are seven other surrounding villages that draw from the current water well. Total number of families from the surrounding villages is 164. If the borehole is installed in this village, 211 families are going to benefit from it with a population of around 1,000 beneficiaries. The next borehole is at 5 kms or 3.1 miles away.
Currently, the local people have to deal with the following issues:
- During the dry season, people do wait for about 3 hours at the current water source and because of this, most of the time women miss farming and school children miss classes and go late to school.
- During the rainy season, they have plenty of water but it is very unsafe as other waters and pollutants from the top soil is washed into their drinking water. Because of this, they have diarrhea and those affected are mostly children.
- Last year, three people suffered from cholera.
- Some years back, a chief lost his mother and sister in the same year due to diarrhea.
- Last year, one school girl was bitten by a snake as she was going early in the dark to fetch water before school.
When the community is blessed with a water well, there is going to be reduced diarrhea cases. There will be good home hygiene practices and students are going to continue with their education, especially girls.