Ling’ande Village, T/A Ngokwe, Machinga
This village has 80 family households totaling approximately 400 people. Their current source of water is a shallow ditch. Six villages in total use the current source of water and these are the villages that are going to be the beneficiaries of the new borehole, when it is installed. The next closest borehole is 3 kms or 1.9 miles away.
The problems that the families face due to the current water source are:
- Frequent diarrhea. This year alone 5 people have suffered from diarrhea.
- During the dry season from April to November, they must wait in line a long time for the water and sometimes that must travel further in search of water.
- Students are very late to school due to the long wait at the water source queue.
- Dogs, livestock, and other wild animals share the same water with people.
- Last year 5 people suffered from cholera.
- Our team was also told, “Sometimes women do quarrel and fight for water especially during the dry season.”