Katete Village, T/A Ngokwe, Machinga
Katete has 42 families and they share the current water source with 3 other villages that have 240 households.
When the new borehole is installed, it is going to provide the first clean water for the 282 families and approximately 1,400 people. The next borehole is 1 km or about 3/4 of a mile away.
Challenges with the current source of water are:
- Diarrhea. This year alone 20 people have suffered from it. 3 of the women interviewed by our team had diarrhea, too.
- During the dry season, people queue and wait up to 9 hours for one bucket of dirty water.
- Sometimes women quarrel as some try to sneak in front of the line.
- As a result of the long wait, their marriages become unstable as women cannot organize their home effectively.
- Children go late for school.